   Re: [xml-dev] RE: PSVI and XPath 2.0 data model

Elliotte,

> At 12:04 AM +0100 5/8/02, Michael Kay wrote:

> >I think the closest we could get to that might be to require that an
> >implementor documents a method of constructing the input tree from an XML
> >document using the "standard mapping" of XML documents to trees.
>
> That's a start. However, this must be the default behavior. Anything
> beyond that should be at user option only.

I think what this means in practice is that the Infoset
for better or worse is the only reasonable "standard mapping"
of an XML document to a tree. XSDL does define a specific
transform between an Infoset and a "PSVI"  and XSLT 2.0 takes
such a "PSVI" as an input -- so far so good. Do you really
want to _limit us_ to using XSDL as the only mechanism of
specifying a "PSVI" i.e. suppose someone writes a perfectly
good RELAXNG processor that emits a "PSVI", are you saying
that you want to disallow this?

Jonathan