   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

> 1) A schematron schema might be used to apply
> _additional_ constraints on top of an XSD schema, i.e. to
> express constraints not expressible in XSDL (this is a
> great use for Schematron imho). In such cases I presume
> that we are dealing with instances that _actually are_
> schema valid.

well yes and no, experience with dtd's shows that one often wants to
process the dtd (attribute defaults, ID declarations, etc) but then
still process the document with the schematron (or XSLT, directly)
even if the document was not valid (or as is more often the case
the under-specified but common beast of a
non-validating-parser-that-processes-the-dtd was used.) This means that
one can present the user with a common interface to all warnings, rather
than it fail in some hard way for validation errors without calling the
higher level schematron interface at all.

[I accept your other points/clarifications]

David