   RE: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

At 02:35 PM 5/9/2002 +0100, Michael Kay wrote:

>All this goes to prove that there is scope for plenty of PhD theses on
>XPath/XQuery optimization. I think it's obvious that there are optimizations
>that can be done with knowledge of the schema that can't be done without,
>but exactly what those optimizations are is still a matter for research.

Absolutely. And implementations will do much better in 3 years than they
will in 1 year.

What will be the relative impact on speed of type-based optimization versus
other kinds of optimization? The jury is still out. There are certainly
examples where type-based optimization looks very promising. The type
information is available in the schema. Vendors should be able to use this
information in optimization.

Jonathan