   RE: [xml-dev] PSVI formalization

Simon,

I'm surprised that you consider XML to be "an ugly foundation for building
information interchange systems". Going back to Bosak's original vision of
"SGML on the Web", the key to XML's success is that a lot of information
interchange problems combine the attributes of document and data. This is
true of everything from flight availability data to business documents like
invoices.

All of these things benefit from text-based markup: you can view and
understand the raw data, transform itwith a stylesheet, format it for
viewing using HTML (very common use case), manipulate with Perl, awk, grep
and other text processing languages, etc. At the same time, these things
benefit from semantic information as well. I don't see the contradiction.

The types native to W3C XML Schema are overblown, I agree. But the types in
XML are a little goofy as well, to say the least. When was the last time you
used NMTOKENS? My point is that the notion of letting the user *choose*
between well-formed and valid is one of the key aspects that has made XML so
successful, and it should be retained in both directions (i.e. for those of
us who partake in schema and those who don't). At the same time, DTDs are
definitely inappropriate for B2B e-commerce and other XML "killer apps", and
creating an alternative that uses XML syntax and has a more logical set of
basic datatypes (like the one I proposed) makes a ton of sense.

The exciting thing about XML to me and a lot of people is that we are
abstracting interfaces away from fragile APIs to the level of business
document formats that everyone company understands (orders, invoices, ASNs,
etc.). These look beautiful when marked up using text, and they are also
strongly typed. You'd have to get a lot more concrete to convince me that
text-based markup+schema is not the most elegant way to represent them!

Matt