   RE: [xml-dev] PSVI formalization

Simon,

You seem to be implying that there is a magical quantity of XML that makes
it the best choice for certain types of purposes in certain types of
software architectures, and that there is a separate set of features for
information interchange (like representing a number as a number). Since
these are mutually incompatible, we need to decide which one we want.

In fact, the two are highly complementary! So much so that the whole is more
than the sum of its parts. Being able to do all the cool XML stuff (like
opening up a document, changing a number -- represented as text -- and
saving it again) while still having access to what the data really is (a
number is a number is a number) is what makes XML exciting in the first
place. Believe me, it wouldn't be a household name by now if it were just
SGML without SHORTTAG, LINK and CONCUR...

That said, you led me down the garden path with this PSVI stuff. My
understanding of the PSVI (very shaky, I admit) is that it is an abstract
formalism for representing an instance with its associated schema. Now I am
starting to understand that people actually want to serialize this as XML.
Now *that* definitely strikes me as a really bad idea.

But like someone said, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Schemas
are great. I have 0% doubt of that. Your problem is with the W3C process,
which appears to reward complexity while providing no incentive to keep
things simple. It's no surprise that we are building a bigger and bigger
mess of overgrown incomprehensible specs. Hey, it almost reminds me of...
SGML! Plus ca change...

Matt