   RE: [xml-dev] PSVI formalization

We do something very similar to this, and it is really useful in the context
of a processing app. Basically you parse in a document with its associated
schema and created a kind of "Extended DOM" (we call it ExDOM) in memory. We
built the interfaces so that standard DOM calls do what you would expect,
but additional extended calls give you access to schema information,
including more information about structure (we use intermediate nodes in the
DOM trees to distinguish between different content models than might
underlie the same concrete instance).

This all makes sense to me, but it should be part of the DOM effort (i.e. an
extension to a programming API). I don't understand why you would ever want
to serialize this as an XML document. I also feel that working on a PSVI
instance rather than an XML instance should be out of scope for XPath and
other XML-focused (as opposed to programming language-focused) standards...
there seems to be a lot of agreement on this.

Having a PSVI-like implementation in memory would enable an XPath processor
to do some potentially useful things (the only one I can think of is type
checking). But this should be *completely* invisible to everyone but the
author of the processor. Also, your comments about the need to apply
potentialy invalid XPaths are extremely convincing... I would be inclined to
agree that any notion of strong type checking should be layered on top, with
XQuery being the obvious place to do this.

Matt