   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT 2.0 / XPath 2.0 - Assumptions

Steve Muench wrote:
> Not speaking for Oracle here, having worked for 12 years
> on our development tools, I see XSLT as an XML-based
> "report writing" tool primarily. The line I personally
> have always seen between XQuery and XSLT was that you would
> use XQuery (or SQLX) to have the database do the "heavy-lifting",
> so to speak, to project and filter and do basic "shaping"
> of the data to produce the "needles from within the haystack"
> of the large database, and then you'd use XSLT to render
> that document into all sorts of follow-on formats from those
> database queries: HTML, PDF, SVG, Text, etc.

Well said.

I see one other common use of XSLT, and that is to cover the
deficiencies of the current crop of products for constructing XML
documents from relational data -- they pretty much do a canonical
object-relational mapping. However, with the advent of XQuery over
relational data, I expect this to go away.

-- Ron