   RE: [xml-dev] frustration (was RE: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 )

Great!

For what it's worth, the only standards effort I participate in actively is
under the aegis of OASIS. The organization certainly doesn't feel hijacked
by enterprise interests... it feels much more like a dedicated group of
smart individuals with a huge amount of XML knowledge (myself excluded, of
course ;-) trying to create the best technical solution possible. The
advantages of OASIS over the W3C are tangible: individual membership
available for $250/year, and a completely open process with public email
archives (you need to be a member to post to TC or SC lists, however, to
prevent information overload).

But it's early days, and things may get stickier as the profile of the UBL
effort (the one I am involved in) rises. Also, it is blessed to have an
incredibly capable manager in Jon Bosak. Not every effort is going to have
this advantage. Hence the appeal of an open source type approach to
standardization.

Matt

http://www.xmleurope.com/2002/schedule.asp