   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT 2.0 / XPath 2.0 - Assumptions

At 12:34 PM 5/12/2002 -0400, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>At 12:02 PM -0400 5/12/02, Mike Champion wrote:
>>>Where exactly does it state that?
>>"One of the great strengths of XML is its flexibility in representing
>>many different kinds of information from diverse sources. To exploit
>>this flexibility, an XML query language must provide features for
>>retrieving and interpreting information from these diverse sources."
>>"It is designed to be a small, easily implementable language in which
>>queries are concise and easily understood. It is also flexible enough
>>to query a broad spectrum of XML information sources, including both
>>databases and documents. ... XQuery is derived from an XML query
>>language called Quilt [Quilt], which in turn borrowed features from
>>several other languages, including XPath 1.0 [XPath 1.0], XQL [XQL],
>>XML-QL [XML-QL], SQL [SQL], and OQL [ODMG]."
>I always understood that to refer to native XML databases. I never thought
>it meant traditional relational databases. And that says nothing about
>querying objects.

Relational database vendors *are* working on mappings of relational
databases to XML so that databases can be queried using the XML view. In
fact, SQLX is working on standards for this. See the following:

The XML Data type and Publishing Functions:

Table Mapping:

Mapping non-predefined data types: