   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT 2.0 / XPath 2.0 - Assumptions

At 02:26 PM 5/13/2002 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 14:13, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> > I think Mike is talking about types used for data in the XML instance. At
> > that level, XPath 1.0 / XSLT 1.0 doesn't really have even floating point
> > numbers - these are in the programming model, but not in the data that is
> > manipulated.
>
>That approach (numbers in the programming model, not the data) seems
>brilliantly appropriate to XML's marked-up text approach.
>
>Downright ingenious, even.

That's fine as long as all the programs that touch the data know how it was
originally intended to be used and treat it correctly. Instead of using a
data type, you can now look at your DTD or Schema to see if someone left a
comment to tell you whether a date is in MMDDYYYY format or DDMMYYYY
format, and then look at all the programs that touch that data to make sure
that they interpreted the bytes correctly.

As David Carlisle says:
>probably most xpath users could check that an integer was positive (or less
>that 2^8 or whatever) using existing xpath constructs without the need
>to import the entire array of types from schema (and thus a whole mass
>of conversion rules).

Yes, but it is much more difficult to ensure that a suite of programs are
all doing these checks for all of the elements and attributes of a document
that represent typed data.

Jonathan