   Re: RE: [xml-dev] XSLT 2.0 / XPath 2.0 - Assumptions

  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: RE: [xml-dev] XSLT 2.0 / XPath 2.0 - Assumptions
  • From: Mike Champion <mc@xegesis.org>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:08:57 -0400

5/13/2002 3:14:45 PM, "Danny Ayers" <danny666@virgilio.it> wrote:

>Hmm - not sure I like this direction at all. float, double, dateTime - all
>pretty ugly, I'd leave the definition of things like this to separate
>namespaces/schema, and leave them out of these specs altogether. In fact,
>I'd probably drop everything but booleans & integers.

All I really care about here is that there be a conformance level that is not a big
conceptual stretch for XPath 1.0 users and not a burden for implementers.

[FWIW, I'm not persuaded by the "it's just a bunch of 1-line functions,
no big deal for implementers" argument.  Each of those has to be put
in a test suite, tested, regression tested regularly, documented, the documentation
translated, the help desk trained upon, the XQUERY FOR DUMMIES readers who
can't understand the subtleties supported, ad infinitum.]