   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT 2.0 and XSL(-FO) 2.0

From: "Ronald Bourret" <rpbourret@rpbourret.com>

> Jeni Tennison wrote:
> > It would make a lot more sense to have this dictated within the
> > stylesheet, which then governs the way in which the source document is
> > parsed (whether validation is carried out; what happens as a result of
> > validation errors) rather than by the source document.
>
> This seems like an awfully XSLT-centric view of the world. I'm sure it's
> useful in many cases, but it seems that in the general case the
> application, not the stylesheet, should control this.

The initial reason for XML was to support (what has eventuated as) the following process
  * I request an (SGML) resource from your server over HTTP
  * your server sends me a XML document with the MIME type marked
  * my browser dispatches on the MIME type, and renders the document using XSLT

So there is no "application" in the sense of some external controller that
is customized for each document: the browser understands MIME and selects
the XML plugin, the XML plugin understands <?xml-stylesheet and
fetches the stylesheet and transforms the document using it, then
passing it to some renderer.

Of course, we have scripting languages in browsers, but the bottom line
is just using whatever stylesheet PIs the XML document provides.  It is not a
corner case, but the foundation; other uses for XSL (e.g. server side transforms
embedded in programming languages or scripts) are important, but
as wonderful value-adds to the initial vision.  Lets get that initial vision satisfied,
rather than sidetrack it!

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe