   Re: [xml-dev] How to spell "No PSVI" in XSLT 2.0 ?

[David Carlisle]

> > Yes. Also, in practice most every parser is a validating parser, so
> > people are used to relying on this behaviour, whether they technically
> > should or not.
>
> In practice most every parser (except mozilla's) reads the DTD for
> attribute defaults etc, but usually XSLT engines work with parsers in
> non valdidating mode don't they?

Often you don't want the parser to validate.  Remember all the times people
get bit by msxml's default validation, when they just want to add one entity
declaration with a DOCTYPE.  This is one of thoses cases that beg for
validation and other DTD processing to be in separate processing steps.  At
any rate, I think "most" people don't expect the processor to do anything
except add whatever DTD declarations they see in the document itself (the
internal subset), but they do expect them to be processed so that entities
can be defined, etc. That may not be completely logical, but "most" people
probably aren't up on what they think are the fine points.

Cheers,

Tom P