   RE: [xml-dev] How to spell "No PSVI" in XSLT 2.0 without getting sucked

Jeni,

You are making the assumption that in most cases the XSLT processor has
control over the parsing (and/or serialization). I am saying that this is an
inappropriate assumption and flies in the face of any pipeline-processing
model, such as found in Cocoon or any application that uses an API such as
JAXP. Adding more *optional* features will not help interoperability and
will do nothing to *ensure* that a source tree is treated as nothing more
than plain vanilla elements, attributes, and text.

XSLT's data-model-centric view could only succeed in practice if there was
never any doubt about the corresponding serialization. The XSLT/XPath 1.0
data model has an unambiguous mapping to its serialized form. In particular,
the inherent constraints within the data model prevent a tree from ever
being constructed that does not correspond to a real XML document (or EGPE).
This is even more than can be said of the Infoset (because of its redundancy
in modeling namespaces). The XPath 1.0 data model can always be
round-tripped between abstract node tree and serialization; that is the
point I'm trying to make. The same cannot be said of the PSVI (or of the
current XPath 2.0 data model).

XSLT 2.0 has pretty much committed to providing support for PSVI pipelines.
Unless there is a mode that restricts input to vanilla XML (for lack of a
better term), the mere presence of PSVIs will destroy the possibility of
robust vanilla XML pipelines.

Evan