   Re: [xml-dev] Objections to / uses of PSVI?

Hi Ron,

> Jeni Tennison wrote
>
> > Ron,
> >
> > > That's one reason that I asked how people intended to use the PSVI.
> > > I find it interesting that the answer has, so far, been silence.
> >
> > I can think of three ways in which I'd like to use information
> > available in the PSVI within XSLT:

I'd like to add one more to Jeni's list of items.

4) For use with Embedded Schematron rules.

For people using the technique of embedding Schematron rules in XML Schema to
express co-occurence constraints the access to datatypes through the PSVI would
be helpful. It would add the ability to define the Schematron context as being
a complexType or simpleType instead of an element. At this stage Schematron
rules can only be applied to specific elements, e.g.

<rule context="PostalDate">
    <assert test="..."/>
</rule>
<rule context="ArrivalDate">
    <assert test="..."/>
</rule>

etc...

Both these elements have the type xs:date and there could be many more elements
in your instance that use the same type. If you want to apply a Schematron rule
to all elements of type xs:date you currently have to create one rule for each
element of this type. With access to the datatypes through PSVI you could
instead do something like (imaginary syntax):

<rule context="*[psvi:datatype = 'xs:date']">
    <assert test="..."/>
</rule>

Of course this all depends on weather or not Schematron will be compatible with
XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 but hopefully it will.

Cheers,
/Eddie