   RE: [xml-dev] Open Standards Organization

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 16:31, Matthew Gertner wrote:
> Uche Ogbuji:
> > You forgot the most important thing.  Item 0.  You need a
> > name (preferably not a silly abbreviation).  After all, the
> > goal is, in part, evangelical, right?  What evangel would
> > venture into the world without a Name to invoke?
> >
> > I suggest "XML Core" as being just cheeky enough.
>
> The name was one of the first items I wanted to raise on the mailing list. I
> like the X- prefix a lot (XPath, XPointer, etc.). Since we are pretty much
> certifying specs, how about "XRated"?

The name is important, but can we define it before having defined the
scope of the organization?

For instance, do we want to reduce the scope to XML related specs, to
markup languages, to the software industry or not at all?

The X prefix seems to make sense only in the first case...

Also, there is a common meaning conveyed by "open" specifications which
IMO doesn't reflect what we want to do. The common meaning is not very
restrictive and an "open standard" is pretty much any standards which is
published under whatever conditions.

I hope I will not start another religion war, but I think that what we
want to achieve is more a "free" than an "open" standards organization
(with of course "free" as in GNU's "free speech").

That being said, it's not very sexy, but "freespecs" and variations such
as "free-specs" or "3specs" seems to be rather new for google...

Eric
--
See you in Barcelona.
                              http://www.xmleurope.com/2002/schedule.asp