   Re: [xml-dev] Rationale Behind The PSVI

> Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> The PSVI on the other hand doesn't strike me as useful in that manner.
> Like the W3C XML Schema recommendation which spawned it, it conflates
> many different issues into one entity including as type
> information,validation information and default information.

Agreed. The worst of it is that the PSVI information is just the
information that appeared useful in the eyes of the authors of the
schema spec. Different applications will care about different parts of
it and I'm sure that reasonably clever people can come up with
information that isn't included at all.

One wonders if a general mechanism for augmenting the infoset with
metadata wouldn't be a better solution, although I can imagine how
cumbersome that would be for things like a content model.

> Secondly it is difficult, nigh impossible to effectively serialize.

I assume the key word here is "effectively"? Simply serializing it as
XML shouldn't present any problems.

-- Ron