   Re: [xml-dev] Penance for misspent attributes

Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net> wrote:
|> From: Arjun Ray [mailto:aray@nyct.net]

|> Hidden here is (IMHO) a deep critique of SAX as a useful API.
|
| I don't know. XML modellers faq:
|
| Q: Why are you putting stuff in attributes?
| A: I can't be arsed to code a buffer.
|
| Seems more like gonzo laziness to me.

Sounds like the Path of Least Resistance to me.  Not everybody is a
theoretician, with a grasp of what generally useful feature could be
missing.

For example, what if SAX offered a semantic value stack in parallel with
the open element stack it has to maintain internally?  If every app that
needs one has to reinvent it, quite a few apps might be "redesigned" not
to need one.

I think Simon was saying, inter alia, *that's* a dead end.