   Re: RE: [xml-dev] How to spell "No PSVI" in XSLT 2.0 ?

At 9:42 AM -0400 5/17/02, Mike Champion wrote:

>We keep circling back to the same issue: XSLT relies on a parser to
>turn syntax into a data model that it recognizes.  It says nothing
>about what the parser should do with external entities, or Xincludes,
>or anything else that had not been invented when the XSLT spec
>was written <grin>, just that the parser had better not put them
>in the data model if it expects XSLT to do anything sensible.

We do keep circling back to that, don't we? However, here I don't
think it's quite as applicable. When the parser sees an unprocessed
entity what is it going to do? It's going to pass the buck to client
application. In SAX, this means it's going to call skippedEntity().
In DOM, it's going to put an EntityReference object in the tree.  In
JDOM, it's going to put an EntityRef object in the tree. All three
cases (and probably others) will be passed to the XSLT processor
which then is faced with an entity reference, and as the data model
requires they must resolve that entity reference. If the parser has
not provided sufficient information for the entity reference to be
resolved, then the XSLT processor should throw an error. The XPath
1.0 data model is simply not defined for documents that contain
unresolvable entity references.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |