   Re: [xml-dev] Penance for misspent attributes

Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net> wrote:

| Granted we've been here before about how developers find state machines
| awkward but it does leave open the possibility of being declared and
| then autogeneratated. Was this approach never taken with SGML?

Sure, though never in any standardized fashion.  The frustrations with SAX
are recapitulations of the same frustrations with the output of (n)sgmls -
no surprise, since SAX is modeled on that implementation of ESIS, and even
more closely on David Megginson's SGMLS.pm package.  (Which is to say, SAX
was not in any way an advance in the state of the art.)

| There doesn't seem to be a lot work being done in the public domain to
| codegen saxhandlers (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places), but I
| expect it will become common enough.

Well, if it hasn't by now...?

| I'm pretty sure people are using Maps and the like to key event
| handlers, but I haven't seen it in the wild.

For some (unfortunately entropic) Perl code, see the materials at (written
two years ago during some email discussions with other parties interested
in the then current manifestation of the SOAP spec):

 http://www.nyct.net/~aray/xml/disp/

especially the rant in dispatcher.txt.  (The XML/Parser/Notifier.pm
package works with expat directly - people accustomed to SAX will find the
code puzzling, especially XML/Parser/Notifier/SimpleDispatcher, but it is
a different approach after all.)