   Re: [xml-dev] How to spell "No PSVI" in XSLT 2.0 ?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] How to spell "No PSVI" in XSLT 2.0 ?
  • From: Bob Hutchison <hutch@xampl.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:50:08 -0400

On 5/21/02 3:01 AM, "Arjun Ray" <aray@nyct.net> wrote:

> Bob Hutchison <hutch@xampl.com> wrote:
>
> | On 5/17/02 12:39 PM, "Joe English" <jenglish@flightlab.com> wrote:
>
> |> I very rarely need or use [namespaces] in my own vocabularies.
> |> Or am I in the minority here?
> |
> | I don't know for sure, but I suspect you are in the majority.
>
> Most of the XML I see in discussions and expositions is encrusted with
> colons.  The minority must be very vocal.:-)
>
> | I could not do what I need to do with XML documents without namespaces,
> | or something like them.  This goes for namespaces on attributes too.
>
> Can you state this in the form of requirements (ie what you need to do or
> have done, without prejudging the exact syntactic means)?

I'll try (these are some of the requirements actually met).

1) develop multi-module internet based applications that use XML as its data
representation and allow for independent development of the modules
2) develop a common infrastructure for these multi-module internet based
applications that supports things such as workflow, security, persistence
3) develop tools that make life easier for the developers working on the
first two requirements.

There are more, but these are enough to get the idea. Now, you'll notice
that the first requirement explicitly states XML. It didn't when we started
this four years ago. Due to iterations of these requirements the XML has
crept in almost as a given.

I believe the first release of this software had something like 400 element
tags used in about 120 document 'types' in about 20 namespaces.

Cheers,
Bob