   Painful USA Today article (was RE: [xml-dev] ANN: REST Tutorial)

5/21/2002 10:33:00 AM, "John Evdemon" <jevdemon@acm.org> wrote:

>  This
>popped up this morning as a rather painful reminder of the trends and
>bandwagons the industry keeps jumping onto:
>
>http://www.usatoday.com/money/general/2002/05/20/squander.htm

Shudder ... that's painful, all right!  Thanks :~)

The bits that caught my eye were:

'"People kind of viewed it as black magic, so why understand it?" says Charles Phillips,
a tech analyst at Morgan Stanley.'

'Ranking almost dead last [as a reason to buy technologies in the future]:
keeping up with the pace of change ? a factor many companies cited as a
force behind the "me-too" buying binge of the late 1990s.'

Just to bang my favorite drum, I don't think this bodes well for
"black magic" technologies which we supposedly all have to understand
because they are the Next Big Thing.  Customers might be ready for a
"quiet, stress free, park bench you can sit on for a while.
A welcome haven of simplicity in the sea of complexity...."
http://www.xml.org/xml/newsletter_2002_05_16.html