   RE: [xml-dev] Two quick questions regarding restriction in XML Schema

Hi Murali and Dare,

If you want to use both types Book and Book1 which is derived from Book
than you should use an xsi:type in your instance documents.

In some instances, your book will become Book

<book xsi:type="Book">
     < ....

while in another instance documents your book will be Book1

<book xsi:type="Book1"

This allows you to change the content of the same element as required in
your instance documents. However, if you always want only to use Book1 type
for your book element, than you can specify that in the schema:

<xsd:element name="book" type="Book1">

The book will than always have the type of Book1 in your instance
documents:

<book>
  <title>XYZ</title>
  <author>ABC</author>
  <author>DEF</author>
 </book>

Cheers,

</nada>

                    "Dare
                    Obasanjo"            To:     "Murali Mani" <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU>, "Nada
                    <dareo@micros        Reinprecht" <Nada_Reinprecht@nemmco.com.au>
                    oft.com>             cc:     <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
                                         Subject:     RE: [xml-dev] Two quick questions regarding
                    23/05/02             restriction in XML Schema
                    04:00

It is the former. I think he was stating that you could have done

<element name="book" type="Book1">

in the schema instead of using xsi:type in the instance document.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
In a fight between you and the world-bet on the world.

rights.
You assume all risk for your use. (c) 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights reserved.