   balance (RE: [xml-dev] Turn Off Automatic Script Activation InOutlook)

Len, if I hadn't wasted - yes, wasted - so much of my time dealing with
poorly-designed crap with a business agenda behind it, I might be
inclined to agree with you.  At this point I think we need to find a
better balance between "my customers want XYZ feature" and "the XYZ
feature is toxic to the technological ecosystem in which it is used."
Right now the first is often heard, the second only rarely considered.

Businesses are notoriously bad at considering ecosystems beyond the
boundaries of their balance sheets, at least until it's made painfully
clear that something's drastically wrong.

I'm fed up with your notion that business is the heart and soul of all
we do, and your naive faith that business processes are naturally
helpful to technological development.

 I'd much rather talk angle-bracket details than "how is this good for
business," and find the former much appropriate to discussion on a
developers' list.

It's way past time to make it clear that business process can in fact be
toxic to technology, and that the interactions between the two aren't
necessarily mutually supportive.  They _can_ be positive occasionally,
sure, but in my experience that's hardly the rule.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!