   Re: [xml-dev] parsing a DTD without having the entities resolved.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 12:46:53PM +0200, Koen De Maesschalck wrote:
> Hi,

  Hi Koen,

> I am parsing a (complex) DTD using libXML2 and using the function calls
> that Daniel Veillard showed here previously:

  here, really ? Damn, sorry for the pollution, I suggest to use
   xml@gnome.org
instead, since this is very specific to libxml2.

> xmlDTDPtr dtd;
> dtd= parseDTD( NULL, "filename.dtd");
>
> after that I scroll throug the children list and I am interpreting the
> elements using
>
> pElement = xmlGetDTDElementDesc( dtd, child->name);
>
> This all works fine, however I would like to be able to browse the DTD
> before the entities are resolved.  Mainly, my goal is to see which entities
> are used in element content (or elsewhere in the dtd - such as in ATTLIST
> declarations).
>
> I tried to issue a call to
>
> xmlSubstituteEntitiesDefault(0);
>
> before I call parseDTD(), but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
> What am I doing wrong?

  In a nutshell, this is not possible with libxml, basically the use of
parameter entities in DTDs doesn't have to follow structured usage patterns
and representing them with a tree representation seems extremely hard if
not impossible.

  I can give you more info on the libxml list if you want.

Daniel