   Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema: Getting lookup tables from DB

Here is how to do it.

1) Make a CGI script (or equiv) which queries the database and returns
the answer in the form of a simple type definition in XML Schema language.

2) In your schema, include that document first.  Schemas are composed
of resources, and that resource can just as easily be dynamically generated
as being some static file.

3) Check through your application for caching effects. If your validator
caches the schema, the updating the database will not flow through to the
program. If your intranet caches the resource, updating the database will
also not flow through to the program.  That may be good, it may be bad,
depending on your requirements.

You can also do this kind of thing using Schematron and the document()
function.  In that case, you don't even need to present the database data
in the form of a schema: any kind of XML would do.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe