   Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema: Getting lookup tables from DB

| Can I query the tables to create a xml file and store it as a datagram to be
| used by my schema?  In other words, can my schema reference a xml file (that
| will contain lookup table information)? That way if/when the table changes
| all one would have to do is create an updated xml file.

You could definitely use our SQLX operator support in Oracle9i Release 2
(perhaps in combination with our XSLT 1.0 support in SQL) to
transform the result of your lookup table into an XML document,
or as Rick suggested, as a programmatically produced Schema Fragment,
but if you are imagining a case larger than the 50 states in
the United States then the technique might not scale.

Imagine Amazon.com wanting to make sure that a submitted ISBN number
in little "order submission XML" is a valid ISBN that they carry
in their *huge* inventory, then the database lookup as I illustrated
it is probably best.

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Java/XML Evangelist, Author
Simplify J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
Building Oracle XML Apps, www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp