   RE: [xml-dev] Are there any limits?

Not at all.  I'm saying that the attempt to do
this usually results in that until the system
learns to forget.   We have to learn to forget.

Earlier, I gave the example of the teen-ager
and said that the simple goal of self-awareness
does not of necessity lead to a more efficient
system.  If we state that a requirement for
self-awareness is introspection, then a teen-ager
is an example of a system that is intensely
self-absorbed and therefore, worthless for
many tasks (energy wasted in re-examination
cycles until controls emerge to manage
polarities and procedures to solve problems).

But the WWW (not the Internet specifically)
is a good example of engineering with a
stupid fielding strategy.  It doesn't of
necessity make us smarter although I will
argue that in some cases, smarter users
result.  Again, context. It also promotes superstitious
acquisition if the control metric is frequency
of citation instead of source of citation.

Still there is a recursive problem in the second approach
in that it is possible to get a certification
for expertise based purely on frequency, so
the control has to be one of authoritative
or badged certification.  In other words, it
is only as good a measure as the measure that
measures it, and so forth.  If we posit
that a terrorist being able to access the
plans for an electrical generating facility
makes him or her "smarter" we will be
right in principle but wrong in context.
A control system has to be vetted at
each of its stratified levels.

Why?  Because the idiot who posts the plans
in the name of public transparency is the
one that needs a bit of remediation but that
is the history of the Web and the result of
the unvarnished promotion of it over using
experience to vette goals for its use.

One can be terribly self-aware and still
be a Golem (see Green Goblin: Spiderman).
The paradox of set theory is solved by
emergent controls.  The cost is that
second order controls have to be vetted
as well.

len

From: Matt Gushee [mailto:mgushee@havenrock.com]

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 08:07:10AM -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Or that an extraordinary amount of disk space and CPU time
> will be exhausted handling metadata.

Are you saying that self-awareness can be achieved through sheer
quantity of data? If so, you would expect humans to have become more
self-aware (and perhaps wiser?) as a result of widespread access to the
internet. In fact, just the opposite seems to have happened.