   Few doubts!!

Title: From JTree to DOM or XML
Hi,
    I am new to XML. SO I need some help from you guys!

a)How can we distinguish two elements in XML say
<book>
<......>
</book>

<book>
<.........>
</book>
Is it by ID?
<book ID="23">
??

b)If so, how can I access them by DOM?.

c)Is there any better way to access any element and child nodes by one simple query?
Like book has title, author, publishers
I would like to query first book then title, author ??

Thanks
Bhaskar