   Infoset and same-document references

I'm currently working on a document that describes how to map an XML
document in a particular syntax (that syntax being XTM[1]) into an
instance of a particular model. I'm building this on the XML
Information Set in order to get away from the syntax and be able to
speak more directly about the XML document.

That works pretty well, but I run into the problem of how to specify
how to create same-document references. RFC 2396 Section 4.2 says that
URI references of the form "#foo" are to be interpreted as being
internal to the current document, and this is what causes a problem
for me.

I need to specify the URI created for an element with an ID in the
current document, and this should be the concatenation of the URI of
the entity, the character '#', and the ID. The question is, how can I
describe this in terms of the XML Information Set?

Finding the URI of the document entity is easy, but I have to deal
with the URIs of other entities as well, and as far as I can tell
that's not possible.

(And, yes, I am aware that RDF did this differently. I don't know why,
but I know that they did.)

[1] <URL: http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/ >