   RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

7/2/2002 7:41:22 PM, "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> wrote:

>You shouldn't have to and this is probably why the XQuery and XPath data
>model document plans to define a mapping from DTDs to the XQuery Data
>Model[0].
>
>[0]http://www.w3.org/TR/query-datamodel/#IDASOVR

Sheesh, Dare, read that section as if you were doing so for the first time,
and THEN ask yourself why people who don't actually get paid/forced to read that
spec (all 900 pages!  Oops, sorry, only 750 if you factor out the duplicates...)
don't do so!

My understanding of the answer to Betty's question is that to use all the bells
and whistles of XQuery you do need to use a schema.
Still, that doesn't necessarily mean that a W3C Schema Defininition
Language schema is associated with every
instance, just that the query processor (e.g. DBMS) associates the type of the
stored data elements/attributes with some type that can be mapped onto the
WXSDL types that XQuery understands.  That could be done with an RDBMS type
system, or xsi:type syntax, or a future RELAX NG-compatible pluggable type
system, or whatever.  As Dare implied, this is in the domain of the implementers,
not the W3C, to define what is possible.  After all, one objective
of XQuery is to allow an XML *view* of disparate underlying data to be queried
as if it were natively XML.

Anyway, if you want to just treat everything as being characters, you can certainly
use XQuery to query arbitrary XML without a DTD/WXSDL/DBMS schema definition.