   RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

> I am looking for a technical, non-political reason why RELAX
> NG has been brushed aside by XQuery.
>
> Any XQuery people want to speak to that?

(a) RELAX NG has not been brushed aside: that term would imply a
deliberate rejection. As far as I know, no proposal to support RELAX NG
has ever been considered by the working group.

(b) The major reasons why XQuery is being aligned with XML Schema are
unashamedly political (in the sense of "policy-driven") rather than
technical. W3C is trying to develop a coherent set of related
specifications for the web. There is no need to apologize for that.

(c) There is however a technical reason why it would be difficult for
XQuery to integrate with RELAX NG: namely, that RELAX NG simply provides
a yes-or-no answer that says a document is or is not valid, it does not
provide any find-grained type information that can be exploited by a
query system. This might not be an insuperable barrier, but it would
certainly require extra work on the semantics of RELAX NG.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com