   RE: [xml-dev] XQuery and DTD/Schema?

At 08:38 AM 7/3/2002 -0700, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>The XQuery "type system" was originally based on that of XDuce which bears
>similarity to RELAX NG since they both primarily use pattern matching to
>establish types. The problem with this is that it is incompatible with XML
>Schema's notion of named types and type derivation which unfortunately it
>seems the W3C XML Query working group is refusing to accept given the last
>draft of the XQuery formal semantics I laid my eyes on.

Are you suggesting that there may yet be hope for the outright rejection of
W3C XML Schema's bizarre complex of types and type derivation?  That'd make
me a lot more cheerful.

> >Intriguingly, the W3C "XML Schema Formal Model" hasn't seen any new drafts
> >since 25 September 2001,
>
>The XQuery formal model and algebra have been superceded by the XQuery
>Formal Semantics[0]
>
>[0] http://www.w3.org/TR/query-semantics/

Uh - that was the XML Schema Formal Model, not the XQuery one.  I don't see
any formal, uh, superceding (supercession?) of that.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue