   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: Building Web Services the REST Way

Paul Prescod wrote,
> HTTP can of course be used to tunnel (POST: don't ask, don't tell).
> But REST is an integration architecture: tunnelling of proprietary
> protocols is precisely what it is designed to *replace*.

Sure, but here there's a significant cost: if you want to use REST/HTTP
you'd have to expand the scope of the secure endpoint to include the
HTTP server. And that means that you have a much bigger chunk of
software that'd need to pass the relevant certification criteria ...
and that could be *very* time-consuming and expensive (if, indeed, it's
possible at all in any realistic sense).

I'm sure Rich can elaborate on this ... I'd be interested in hearing his
opinions.

Cheers,

Miles