   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: Building Web Services the REST Way

[Paul Prescod]

> > 3.  I don't understand the rationale for principal #2; what's the
> > reason to prefer one of these three?
> >         .../parts/345
> >         ../part?234
> >         ../part?id=345
> > Yes, I removed the "get" word; once I do that, what's the issue?
>
> Practically, there is probably not much of a difference.
>
> But, the first is a reference to a resource. The latter two are queries
> and (arguably) not resources in their own right. Queries have slightly
> different semantics. For instance, queries are constructed by the client
> whereas normal hierarchical URIs should be treated as opaque.

I have never agreed with the notion that a query string identifies something
different from a RESTable resource.  I see a query like this as a request
for a particular view of a resource.  That view I think of as a resource
itself.

Cheers,

Tom P