   Re: [xml-dev] XQuery types was Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUp

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XQuery types was Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUpdate...
  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:27:53 +1000

From: "Jonathan Robie" <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com>

> Actually, the XML Schema list is shorter. There are 12 tools listed on
> their tool page, but only about 7 of these are not schema validators,
> depending on how you count. XML Schema is a REC, XQuery is a Working Draft.

Actually, that tool list is not a list of implementations per se, because thers is some
double counting (Topologi's Schematron Validator uses MSXML, for example.)
There are at least current 9 implementations of  XML Schemas:

  XSV
  MSXML (and I think the .NET validator is different code)
  Apache  (also reused in Sun's implementation?)
  Sun MSV
  Oracle
  Altova
  Tibco
  IBM SQC (+other validator folded into Apache now?)
And (I would hope after all this time) a couple of others.

Compare Schematron, for which there are between 10 to 17
implementations (depending how you count :-)

  ASCC (XSLT)
    (about 8 different implementations, each working on
    at least 8 different implementations of XSLT)
  ZVON (XSLT)
  PHP
  Perl
  C++ (Cocoon)
  Python
  VB
  Java
  Java (MSV, experimental)

RELAX NG has at least 5 implementations, plus a lot of
supporting tools.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe