   Re: [xml-dev] Ann: Schemachine (a pipelined Xml validation framework)

  • To: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Ann: Schemachine (a pipelined Xml validation framework)
  • From: Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 16:13:39 +0100
  • Cc: Xml-Dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>From: "Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com>
>
>>I am happy to announce a first version of Xml Validation
>>Interoperability Framework (xvif), a proposal for embedding pipes of
>>transformations and validations within grammar based schema languages.
>>

>I am also happy to contribute a different approach to a modular validation
>framework for XML: Schemachine.

Never two but three - I'd like to offer LLI (Locally Linked Infosets)
[1] - a function-based approach to accessing post-validation results
which could, I think, be used to implement the Schemachine.

The design aims of LLI are to be:

    Simple  - The proposed solution should have few components, and
should be straightforward to understand and use.
    Harmless - The solution should have little or no impact on existing
technical standards or conceptual models.
    Open  - Both XSDL and its alternatives should be treated as
first-class citizens
    Consumer Oriented - The document consumer should choose which schema
engine(s) and schema(s) are used to validate the document or any of its
parts.
    Flexible - The proposal should permit the use of multiple schemas or
schema engines for the same document or elements, either independently
(in parallel) or cumulatively (in sequence).
    Pervasive - Should be easy to implement, and it should be possible
to access it from environments that supports XPath, such as XSLT or the
DOM.

I hope it proves useful.

Francis.

[1] http://www.redrice.com/xml/LocallyLinkedInfosets.html
--

"Never mind manoeuvre, go straight at 'em." - Admiral Horatio Nelson