   RE: [xml-dev] Is Anyone Interested In XPath 2.0 Use Cases or Requiremen

  • To: "Uche Ogbuji" <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Is Anyone Interested In XPath 2.0 Use Cases or Requirements?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 22:14:51 -0700
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com]
Sent: Sat 7/6/2002 12:36 PM
To: Dare Obasanjo
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

>> 4.) Lack of value comparators for nodesets
>I'm not clear on what you mean here, and a brief read of your full article didn't help me.  Can you clarify?  An example, perhaps?

There is no mechanism to perform comparisons of node sets for equality in the same manner one would for mathematical sets. For instance I can't say a node-set containing (A, B, C) is equivalent to a nodeset containing (B, C, A)

>Besides dates, which are provided for in EXSLT, can you say whet sorts of practical problems you've had people report that caused them to >think they needed operations on other schema types?  Or do they just think that because their schema has types, that XPath ought to be >able to do funky things with those types?

Dates are probably the only types requested with any sort of frequency to establish a trend. Funny enough, adding XSD dates may not satisfy some of our end users who expect to be able to use dates in the format from regular usage (e.g. MM-DD-YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY) and may balk at the ISO 8601 format used by XSD (YYYY-MM-DD)