   RE: [xml-dev] text, regular expressions

Len wrote:
 >  A regular expression can
 > locate a statement, but without the context, what does it tell me?

I think you might have missed this part:
Friedl stresses both the scientific method and a less formal
feel for context, calling the marshalling of regular expressions
an art. It's not important whether his readers get the precise
meaning of every sentence, because understanding comes on
gradually over the course of many pages of examples, tests,
and metaphors.

His repeated admonitions to pay attention to context--to
the ground that supports the figure--may prove irritating
to someone trapped by print culture, wanting the figure to
be isolated from its ground, fixed, and broken down to
atoms. Friedl's process may, in contrast, conform naturally
to the expectations of someone who swims in electronic culture.

There are a lot of twists in the article (which I expect in anything about
McLuhan), but I think this may address your concern.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue