   Re: [xml-dev] Help creating DTD

[John Cowan]
> Karl Stubsjoen scripsit:
>
> > I need help creating a DTD.  Actually, is it a DTD that I mean to
create?  I
> > have an existing XML document, from this I need to create a *template*
> > (dtd?) which I can then use to validate future XML documents.
>
> It is.

He can't really use a DTD because he said he needs to restrict the ITEM
element content to be numeric.  Can't do that with a DTD, so he needs some
kind of a schema,

> Here's a RELAX NG schema:
>
> element ORDER {
> element UID {text},
> element DEALER {text},
> element ORDERS {
> element ITEM {
> attribute id {xsd:ID},
> text
> }*
> }
> }

But he still can't use his ID values, because type xsd:ID has the same rules
as an ordinary XML 1.0 type ID.  The real question is whether his ID
attributes are really "ID"s in the technical sense, or whether they are just
attributes that happen to have that name.  Only the original poster can tell
us that.

Cheers,

Tom P