   Re: [xml-dev] Help creating DTD

[Karl Stubsjoen]

> Ahh... I see the confusion I may have caused.
>
> Infact, I used "id" as an arbitrary name for an attribute, not knowing
there
> was a technical issue :O.  However, I should have guessed this much (sorry
> ppl).
> Lets call "id" "partnum".
> So then <ITEM /> has an attribute called "partnum", like this:
> <ITEM partnum= />
> All ITEM tags will be unique based on the partnum value.

You can still call it "id" if you like.  It is the DTD or schema that
declares whether the attribute really must have the properties of a type
"ID" attribute. "ID" atttributes must 1) be unique within any one document,
and 2) follow the same rules as element names (e.g., must start with a
letter or underscore, or colon, etc.)

Do you need to impose that those part numbers are really unique within each
document, or is that just useful information that does not need to be
checked or imposed by the xml processors?

Cheers,

Tom P