   Re: [xml-dev] Declaring the XML namespace

> > This is probably the kind of thing that only interests conformance
> > testers, but:
> >
> > With the following XML document, I get three different results from
> > different parsers.
> >
> > <doc xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"/>
> >
> > Crimson rejects it.
> > AElfred accepts it, and doesn't notify the namespace to the SAX2
> > ContentHandler.
> > Piccolo accepts it, and does notify the namespace to the SAX2
> > ContentHandler.
> >
> > Any opinions on which is right?
>
> I think it's pretty clear that Crimson has a bug here.  I find Piccolo's notification quite surprising.
>
> Just a couple of brief results from Python parsers:
>
> $ cat foo.xml
> <doc xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"/>
> $ 4xml foo.xml
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?><doc/>
> $ xmlproc_parse foo.xml
> xmlproc version 0.70
>
> Parsing 'foo.xml'
> Parse complete, 0 error(s) and 0 warning(s)

I should point out that 4xml is namespace-aware and xmlproc is not.  This also leads me to discover a bug in 4xml, which accepts an invalid declaration for the prefix "xml".  Thanks to this thread, I'll be sure that's fixed  :-)

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think11.html