   Re: [xml-dev] loosely and tightly coupled systems and type annota tion

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 11:15:04AM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> > As long as that core remains untouched, all of the debates
> > on loose and tight coupling, schemas, strong typing vs
> > lexical and structural named types, are simply and
> > only choices of the application engineer.

> applications substantially at the outset.  As we move "forward", that
> lesson appears to be getting utterly lost under a huge pile of features,
> and now we have to negotiate all that crap yet again just to share
> files.

It occurs to me that we may be witnessing a "Tragedy of the Commons."
I'm referring to the title of a classic essay by Garrett Hardin,
available online at <http://dieoff.org/page95.htm>. If you've never read
it, take 15 minutes and read it today. Even if it proves irrelevant to
the current discussion, trust me, it is extremely relevant to many issues
affecting all of us both professionally and personally.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA