   RE: [xml-dev] The general XML processing problem

Not necessarily.  Either

a) You are instructed in how SYSTEM XYZ intends to process,
or simply, precisely what it intends to return (the type
commitment - precision is THE question here).

b) You have a way to instruct SYSTEM XYZ with instructions it understands.

Semantics require symbol-grounding, the apriori process of assigning meaning
to signs.  XML doesn't care.  XML systems can and that level above
the markup where processing occurs does require a system contract and a
system for creating contracts to exchange data and have it processed
by a means to which parties commit in advance through committing to
what is returned or committing to the process.   Schemas are a
a way to say "here is what I think you asked for" and the reason
for PUBLIC IDs is to assert that one is obeying a public contract.

We don't have to get wrapped around the existential
issues of whether or not zero is a quantity or simply a notational
convenience.  Somewhere, a byte changes state (Goldfarb).

The difficulty is "end to end" or "blind interoperability".  I
don't believe that to be possible outside a very narrow system
definition.   It is the Schrodinger's Cat problem.

len