   Re: [xml-dev] The general XML processing problem

Simon,

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>Mike Champion wrote:
>
>>So, I think I'm with Joe: Documents shouldn't specify how they are to
>>be used, they should be embedded in a process that specifies how
>>specific documents are to be used.  Even the aircraft maintenance
>>manual should be driven by a process that specifies when bits of text
>>are to be validated against what rules; an individual document may be
>>re-used, the schemas evolved, etc.
>>

>What's interesting to me about this discussion is the separation of the
>information in the XML document from the processing it will receive.
>Although the creators and senders of that document may have their own
>expectations about how that document will be processed, there is nothing
>intrinsic to the XML which binds it to particular processing.

Curious that the tree syntax of XML (at least if you have "well-formed"
XML) is not seen as a processing requirement. You can process
non-"well-formed"  XML documents via SAX (or your MOE) that simply ducks
the question of why require the tree syntax for validity in the first
place? Isn't that a processing requirement as well?

Shouldn't processing decide what markup it wants to use and how it wants
to use it?

<snip>

Patrick

--