   Re: [xml-dev] The general XML processing problem

[Simon St.Laurent]

> Other processing systems could use other (non-XML) forms of markup to
> avoid XML's "everything is a tree" notion, or they could use some kind
> of out-of-line markup to enable the description of multiple overlapping
> structures for the same document.  XLink/XPointer is one way of doing
> that.  I've also been playing with my own Out-of-line fun, Ool:
> http://simonstl.com/projects/ool/
>
> I'll be talking more about Ool (and about Ted Nelson's ideas which got
> me started that direction) at the Extreme Markup conference in Montreal
> next month.  I think you'll be there, and I'll be posting the
> presentation on my site in any event.
> --

Anyone interested in these kind of pointers (the ones in ool on Simon's
page, that specify locaton ranges in separate documents) should run, not
walk, to the Multivalent Browser and the main reference paper for Robust
Locations:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~phelps/Multivalent/

and

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~phelps/Robust/