   RE: [xml-dev] Schema Namespace name, schemaLocation, and Schema Versioni

  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Schema Namespace name, schemaLocation, and Schema Versioning
  • From: "Naren Koka" <NKoka@sfamipec.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:02:56 -0700

The schmalocation itself is pretty confusing.  For example I have the following xml and xsd

[s.xsd]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2000/1/XMLSchema";>
	<xsd:element name="root">
		<xsd:complexType>
			<xsd:sequence>
				<xsd:element name="grade" type="xsd:string"/>
			</xsd:sequence>
		</xsd:complexType>
	</xsd:element>
</xsd:schema>

[s.xml]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance"; xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="s.xsd" >
	<grade>a</grade>
</root>

It does not matter what I change the values of xmlns:xsi and the location I get the same errors.  I have s.xsd in the same directory.  Even if I change the file name, there is no effect.  How can I make it look at the schema defined in the same dierctory?

[Error] s.xml:2:103: Element type "root" must be declared.
[Error] s.xml:3:9: Element type "grade" must be declared.
s.xml: 280 ms (2 elems, 1 attrs, 0 spaces, 4 chars)

What is the purpose of the reference to w3.org?  Is the parser going to connect to the website and check the definitions?  Does this require connectivity to the web site for working?

Thanks,
Naren