   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer and XML Schema

Yes, yes, locality is good. Normally, I don't care what some server thinks,
I worry about what my processes and users think about the data.

But isn't XPointer a different case?
My understanding of XPointer's mission is "to define the fragment
identifiers for the text/xml mime-type".

If we want to preserve the universality of URLs, there should be a
consistent meaning for the fragment identifiers. Giving them a different
meaning based on what XML Schema is used reminds me of the earlier proposal
that namespace/prefix bindings depended on the context of the reference. I
think this idea should be rejected for the same reasons.

Yes, I know how it works with DTDs. But users of documents processes them
using the DTD specified by (or even internal to) the instance. They don't
load up a random DTD of their choice and use it instead - if they do they
expect certain things to break, such as fragment identifiers.

-Wayne Steele