   Re: [xml-dev] Quick Xpath

> > > Technically, I think we're compliant, but it sure can annoy the
> > > user. ;)
> >
> > It would certainly be annoying if, for example, (//foo)[4] didn't
> > return the 4th foo element in the document, because it wouldn't be
> > compliant.
> >
> > In the XPath 1.0 spec it states that a Predicate on an expression (as
> > here) filters the node-set with respect to the child axis [1]. The
> > child axis is a forward axis, so the nodes must be arranged in
> > document order when assessing their position [2].
>
> Howsabout given:
>
> 	(//foo | //bar)[4]
>
> Would that be the 4th occurrence of either foo or bar, in document
> order?  That's just an implementational nightmare.

I don't see it as an implementation nightmare at all, having implemented
XPath.  Yes it would probably be a nightmare for the user, but so would:

10: PRINT "I'm cool"
20: GOTO 10

If the user wants to do something silly, it's not XPath's business to get in
his way.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/li