   Re: [xml-dev] Quick Xpath

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Jeni Tennison wrote:
>
> > Hello Mike,
> >
> > > If the DOM interface for XPath specified that nodes could be
> > > returned in any order, this would be a conformant use of XPath,
> > > though many users would find it irritating.
> >
> > Yep. But I guess that most implementers may as well get used to
> > returning node "sets" in document order now, since they're going to
> > have to do that anyway when (if) they implement XPath 2.0 and node
> > *sequences*.
>
> So far, the Jaxen project has decided that XPath 2.0 is probably
> less than useful to us.  Haven't had any users asking about it
> either.  Seems like most folks are happy with 1.0 (or at least
> are not too unhappy with it).  2.0 just seems to lose much of
> the simplicity and -value- that XPath 1.0 has for many developers.

<AOL>Amen</AOL>

But a question remains.  Are sequences part of the problem you see in XPath
2.0?  Or are the complicating details all the *ahem* other ahem stuff that has
been discussed and deplored ad nauseam in this forum?

This is important because if, like me, you see a handful of really useful
things in XPath 2.0 buried in mounds of waste, then you should be sure to tell
the group precisely what you find useful.  This will allow/encourage them to
establish a conformance level of XPath 2.0 with which implementors such as you
and me can content ourselves.

Of course I should note that my own such message is sitting, half-finished, in
my inbox.  I guess I'd better get my hypocrite self over to finish it.  :-)

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
The many heads of XML modeling - http://adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6393
Will XML live up to its promise? - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/li
brary/x-think11.html